It is safe to use as an alternative to baby powder. But, using pure baking soda can be abrasive for sensitive skin. Opt for a blend of baking soda and cornstarch or kaolin clay. Most stores carry baking soda.
What can be used as a substitute for baby powder?
It’s Time to Ditch the Talcum Powder
- Cornstarch: Found in the baking aisle of your local grocery store, cornstarch is a great natural alternative to talc. …
- Arrowroot starch or tapioca starch: Both of these starches are all-natural alternatives to talc.
What can I use instead of baby powder for chafing?
Traditionally, talcum powder has been recommended to prevent chafing because it reduces moisture and prevents friction. For consumers that prefer a powder-based option, cornstarch makes a good substitute for talc and there are plenty of cornstarch-based options to choose from.
Can I use baking soda as talcum?
Baking soda is a common baking ingredient, and can also be safely used as a substitute for talcum powder. It is great at absorbing odors and commonly recommended for use on feet. However, in its natural form, it can be abrasive and cause rashes on sensitive skin.
Can flour replace baby powder?
Flour. The best types of flour to use as a baby powder alternative are rice, corn, and oat flours. All of these are slightly coarser than cornstarch and baking soda though, so do not expect it to feel as smooth on your skin. However, these are still safer alternatives to talcum powder.
Is baby powder necessary?
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends against using baby powder since babies don’t really need it (or most other lotions and oils, for that matter) and it can sometimes irritate their already-sensitive, delicate skin. The AAP also says that baby powder can be harmful to little ones if a lot is inhaled.
How do you make baby powder?
Super Dry Moisture Absorbing Powder
- 1/2 cup Arrowroot powder (substitute all or part cornstarch if desired)
- 1/4 cup Kaolin Clay.
- 1/4 cup Magnesium Carbonate powder (sub Baking Soda if desired)
- 8 drops Lavender Essential Oil (optional)
- 8 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil (optional)
- 5 drops Rosemary Essential Oil (optional)