How do you know if you have a bacterial infection while pregnant?
Strong, fishy odor, especially after having sex. Pain, itching or burning in the vagina. Itching around the outside of the vagina. Burning feeling when you urinate.
What is the most common infection during pregnancy?
During pregnancy, some common infections that may occur are the flu, vaginal yeast infections, uterine infections, group B streptococcus, bacterial vaginosis, and listeria. Changes in immune function may cause this increased risk of infection, and if left untreated, may lead to serious complications.
What causes infection in pregnant woman?
During pregnancy, increased levels of estrogen and progesterone help create the kind of environment in which yeast can thrive. Other causes of yeast infections include taking antibiotics and having intercourse, both of which can disrupt the natural pH in your vagina.
Can a pregnant woman treat infection while pregnant?
You can safely treat a yeast infection during pregnancy with various over-the-counter antifungal vaginal creams or suppositories. However, it’s best to confirm with your health care provider that your symptoms are actually due to a yeast infection before starting treatment.
What does the discharge look like when you are pregnant?
What does it look like? Healthy vaginal discharge during pregnancy is called leukorrhea. It is similar to everyday discharge, meaning that it is thin, clear or milky white, and smells only mildly or not at all.
How do you know if you have a yeast infection during pregnancy?
Symptoms of a Yeast Infection During Pregnancy
- Redness or swelling in your vulva, the area outside your vagina.
- Thick, white vaginal discharge that looks like cottage cheese.
What infection can cause miscarriage?
The following infections may also increase your risk:
- rubella (german measles)
- bacterial vaginosis.
How do you know if you have an infection from miscarriage?
Infection After Miscarriage
- Bleeding and cramping lasting longer than 2 weeks.
- Fever (temperature over 100.4 F)
- Foul-smelling vaginal discharge.
How can I clean my private part during pregnancy?
How Can I Keep My Vagina Clean During Pregnancy?
- Do use a plain unperfumed intimate wash for the vulva or the outer part of the vaginal region.
- Don’t use a vaginal douche(where water is flushed up the vagina), this can flush out the good bacteria and might actually raise the risk of an infection.
How can I avoid urine infection during pregnancy?
You can help prevent UTIs during your pregnancy by:
- emptying your bladder frequently, especially before and after sex.
- wearing only cotton underwear.
- nixing underwear at night.
- avoiding douches, perfumes, or sprays.
- drinking plenty of water to stay hydrated.
- avoiding any harsh soaps or body wash in the genital area.
What happens if a yeast infection goes untreated while pregnant?
If left untreated, yeast infections can pass to your baby’s mouth during delivery. This is called “thrush” and is effectively treated with Nystatin. It may take 10-14 days to find relief or completely clear up the infection while you are pregnant.
How are infections caused?
An infection occurs when germs enter the body, increase in number, and cause a reaction of the body. Three things are necessary for an infection to occur: Source: Places where infectious agents (germs) live (e.g., sinks, surfaces, human skin) Susceptible Person with a way for germs to enter the body.