Dextromethorphan. Dextromethorphan is an over-the-counter cough medicine that is generally considered safe to use during pregnancy. 6 “This medication suppresses a cough by affecting signals in the brain that trigger a cough,” explains Dr.
What mucus medicine can I take while pregnant?
Two major cough medication ingredients—dextromethorphan (a cough suppressant) and guaifenesin (an expectorant, which means it loosens up thick mucus)—both appear to be safe during pregnancy, although both have been tested in relatively few studies.
How much Mucinex can I take while pregnant?
The maximum dose for pregnant women is 120 mg in 24 hours. The multi-symptom preparations that contain dextromethorphan often include “DM” in their name. Guaifenesin is another medication frequently found in cough medications, such as Mucinex.
Can I take off brand Mucinex while pregnant?
Cough medicines and cough drops are generally regarded as safe during the second and third trimesters and include those containing dextromethorphan. Brand names are: Mucinex. Robitussin.
What class drug is Mucinex for pregnancy?
Guaifenesin has been assigned to pregnancy category C. by the FDA. There are no controlled data in human pregnancy. Guaifenesin is only recommend for use during pregnancy when benefit outweighs risk.
Is it OK to take Mucinex with Covid?
Lozenges, cough drops, and over-the-counter medicines such as dextromethorphan (Robitussin and others) and guaifenesin (Mucinex and others) can help with the cough that often comes with COVID-19. Dextromethorphan could be the choice for the dry cough that COVID-19 is best known for; guaifenesin that for wetter coughs.
How do you take Mucinex to get pregnant?
The active ingredient in products like Mucinex (guaifenesin) may help you get pregnant by making your cervical fluid wetter and more slippery, which makes it easier for sperm to travel through your cervix to fertilize an egg.
How do you get rid of chest congestion while pregnant?
- menthol rub on your chest, temples, and under the nose.
- nasal strips, which are sticky pads that open congested airways.
- cough drops or lozenges.
- acetaminophen (Tylenol) for aches, pains, and fevers.
- cough suppressant at night.
- expectorant during the day.
What cold medicine is safe while pregnant?
Common Cold Medicine and Pregnancy: The Safe List
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
- Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
- Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed)
- Loratadine (Claritin)
- Zinc lozenges.
- Chloraseptic spray (but a salt water gargle is just as effective, with no risks)
What helps a cough while pregnant?
- To help eliminate secretions, drink plenty of water.
- Dextromethorphan syrup (e.g. Benylin DM) can be used to relieve a dry cough.
- Most cough drops (e.g. Halls) are safe in pregnancy.
- Consult your family doctor if: Your cough persists beyond seven (7) days. …
- Avoid preparations containing pseudoephedrine.
Is Maalox safe during pregnancy?
OTC antacids containing alginic acid, aluminum, magnesium, and calcium are generally safe during pregnancy: aluminum hydroxide-magnesium hydroxide (Maalox; category B) calcium carbonate (Tums; category C)
Can I use VapoRub on my back while pregnant?
Yes, vapor rub is safe to use during pregnancy.